Darvill Estate Agents
tel: 01271 322 123

Renting a property?

For help choosing a property, finding out what you need to do, to helpful checklists on moving please see the links below.

Help for renting a property - tenants

Rental FAQ’s

What references do I need to get?

You will be asked for a previous landlord, bank, employee and/or character references, you will be required to produce proof of address and either your passport, national ID card or driving licence.

Who is responsible for contacting the utility companies after I move in?

You as the tenant are responsible for setting up accounts with the utility companies directly when you move into your property and also when you leave, taking care to provide meter readings at the beginning and end of the tenancy.

What happens if my rent is paid late?

Any problems with rental payments, that my result in late payment, should be conveyed to Darvill Estate Agents Property Management. Arrears letters (for which you will be charged) will be issued if rent remains outstanding beyond 5 days after it was due. Interest will be charged until payment is made.

If I have any problems during my tenancy who do I speak to?

If your property is managed by Darvill Estate Agents please call 01271 322123 or email your enquiry to lettings@darvillestateagents.com If your property is not managed by Darvill Estate Agents please call your landlord directly.

If I want to serve notice to vacate my property what should I do?

Notice would need to be served in accordance with your particular agreement to Darvill Estate Agents.

What penalties will I incur should I break my lease agreement early?

The primary liability is for rent until the end of the contract.

If the landlord agrees to re-market the property and once a new tenant is found, then your liability will be reduced to covering the landlord's commission and any other expenses from when the property is re-let. Payments would be calculated on a pro-rata basis for the unexpired term of the contract.

How will my payments cease at the end of my tenancy?

You should contact your bank directly to cancel your standing order once the last payment has left your account.

What should I do with the keys at the end of the tenancy?

Unless specific instructions are given by your landlord keys should be taken to our office. Please ensure all sets are returned.

Please note that you will be liable for rent on a daily basis until the keys are returned.

What expenditure should I expect at the end of the tenancy?

As an outgoing tenant typically your costs will be associated with professional cleaning. Any discrepancies between the check in and check out may result in deductions from your deposit.

What is the Tenant Deposit Protection Scheme?

Your deposit will be protected by the DPS Scheme.

In line with legislation introduced in April 2007 all deposits being paid by a tenant for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy must be registered with a recognised deposit protection scheme within 14 days. Where appropriate, Darvill Estate Agents will register the deposit on your behalf.

When is my deposit returned to me?

Once the check-out has been conducted, the property has been cleaned to a satisfactory standard and Darvill Estate Agents has received instructions regarding the deposit from the landlord, the money will be returned to you, less any agreed deductions.

This typically takes 10 working days and generally no more than 28 days.

If your question is still not answered, please contact us.

How do I pay rent?

You will be asked to set up a monthly standing order with your bank.

We accept bank transfers, bankers' drafts, cash, direct debits, and credit cards (subject to a small admin charge).